Christmas is almost here and I’ve absolutely not found my inner christmas spirit yet.. I’m all sitting here, letting myself drown into study and accusing the university for all my struggle. I could bake.. but all I do is studying and sleeping. So ridiculous. Luckily, I found this recipe from last year (where I had nothing to do and baked like crazy).. For sure a christmas cookie that brings in the christmas spirit – not just by its taste but also its look! =)
380 gram flour
2 1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon
2 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
220 gram brown sugar
320 gram room temperature butter
1. Combine all the dry ingredients (except the brown sugar) in a bowl.
2. Now take brown sugar and butter (remember room temperature!) in another bowl and mix it using a hand/standingmixer. Mix for a few minutes so it reaches a soft creamy consistency. Then add in the egg and mix until it’s even.
3. Now bit by bit add in the dry ingredients. At the end use your hands to form the cookie dough.
4. Wrap the dough and place it in the fridge for at least 1-1 1/2 hour.
5. Take out the dough, cut it into prefered pieces and put the rest back into the fridge for later use (perhaps another batch of cookies later this week?). Spread some flour on a piece of parchment paper and start rolling out the dough (about 3-4 mm thick or so)
6. Now preheat your oven to 180C before start cutting out your little gingerbread figures. Let them bake for about 8-10 minutes – check on them at the end! When they’re done, let them chill for at least 15-20 minutes before decorating (optional!). As you can see, I grabbed the gingerbread-man cookie cutter and got to create both happy&sad buddies – no one is happy all the time, right? =)