Sometimes you just don’t have the time to get a bunch of ingredients together. At times like this, it’s great to have a few “go-to” dishes that you can put together in no time. Chili con carne is one of mine “go-to” dishes as it’s so easy to make and tastes delicious. I got so many questions to the fact of adding dark chocolate in the dish. I agree.. I know it sounds strange xD
You can’t really taste the chocolate but it just adds a whole new level of flavour with a delicious depth. Try to add a little bit and figure out what suits your taste – it really enriches the dish. But again.. it’s still totally optional.
350 gram ground beef
1 1/2-2 large onions, diced
1 can of chopped tomatoes
3 tsp tomato paste
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 dl of beef stock
2 cans of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
40 gram of dark chocolate
2 tsp of ground cumin
2-3 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cayennepepper
1 tsp cinnamon or little sticks of fresh cinnamon
- Add onion (diced), ground cumin in a sauce pan. Cook on medium heat for about 4 minutes or until onion is golden brown.
- Add garlic (minced), chili powder and cayennepepper (still medium heat).
- Now add froung beef and keep stirring until it’s browned (turn up the heat)
- Add chopped tomatoes and beef stock. Stir and let it cook with the lid on for about 15 minutes.
- Then stir again and add tomato paste. Let it cook with lid on for another 10 minutes.
- Add kidney beans and dark chocolate (optional). Fold in the chocolate when it starts to melt.
Taste with salt and pepper. Serve it with rice or whatever you like! I prefer sour cream – it’s soo good!